Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer (in the city) salad

(via)
Way back when I was a new college grad in New York City, I made this fresh, summery salad a lot. Even now, this taste combination kind of evokes those years (funny how food anchors memory).

SPINACH, AVOCADO, AND ORANGE SALAD
Ingredients:
-3 handfuls (6 oz) of the freshest spinach leaves you can find
-A small (or medium) ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
-A small orange, peeled and each section skinned & segmented
-Extra-virgin olive oil
-Balsamic vinegar
Optional:
-A large portobello mushroom, sauteed or grilled, and sliced
-Parmesan shavings (I use 6-8, the width/length of my thumb)
-Fresh-ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Toss the spinach with avocado and orange slices
2. Lightly dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to your liking
3. If using, add the mushroom, parmesan and/or pepper
4. Toss everything gently and chow!

Note: Recently, I searched for a similar or "official" version of this recipe online. The closest I found was something using Asian-style dressing (reflected in the above photo), which I hadn't used before. It sounded good. For that recipe, click on -->epicurious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...