Monday, January 9, 2012

STARBUCKS PEPPERMINT MOCHA KNOCKOFF WITH SOME HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE SYRUP!







   This recipe comes from www.madincrafts.com .  This is for all of you that miss those chocolate mochas from Starbuck's, after the holidays are over.  Enjoy!


Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Knockoff (with Homemade Chocolate Mint Syrup)

starbucks peppermint mocha recipe square
Do you remember how I told you I was going to share a yummy way to use up my herb garden mint? Time to make good on that promise.
chocolate mint
If you have ever grown mint, you know that it is an “aggressive grower” A.K.A. even Jess can’t kill it. Despite my brown thumb, my chocolate mint plant has been producing like crazy, so I needed to find a good way to put it to use.
What better way than to make some yummy chocolate-chocolate mint syrup?
chocolate mint leaves
For the recipe, you will need about 30 mint leaves. I didn’t actually count mine out, but I am pretty sure I had a good 3 dozen. Rinse them and pat them dry with a paper towel.
torn mint leaves
Next, rip the leaves into small pieces. Rip, don’t cut. You want to bruise and beat up the leaves as you go. This makes the mint release more of its oily goodness.
Oily goodness isn’t a term I use often.
swampy deliciousness
In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of white sugar, 3/4 cup of water, 1/2 cup of cocoa powder (I used my beloved Special Dark), and the torn mint leaves. I know that this picture resembles Shrek’s swamp, but it smells way better than ogre farts.
chocolate mint syrup recipe

Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sugar is all dissolved. Let the syrup cool.

strain out the mint leaves
Strain the syrup into a jar or plastic container. I used to have a nice mesh strainer, but I gave it to my 3 year old to play with and now it’s rusting in the backyard somewhere. So, I improvised by stabbing some small holes in the bottom of plastic baby food container. Whatever works, right?
The syrup will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, so drizzle it on ice cream, make chocolate-mint milk, or treat yourself to one of my favorite coffee drinks.
starbucks peppermint mocha knockoff recipe
I love Starbucks Peppermint Mochas, but not only are they expensive, Starbucks only carries them around the holidays. You can use your homemade chocolate mint syrup to make your own at home!
The homemade syrup provides the “coat your mouth chocolatiness” of the Starbucks version because it is made with cocoa powder. Regular Hershey’s syrup will work, but not as well. And it won’t be all minty fresh.
To be really decadent, you can top the coffee with whipped cream and sprinkles. If you know you are going to have one of THOSE days (like for instance you are putting your obstinately un-potty trained 3-year-old in underwear for the whole day for the first time), go ahead and use ice cream instead of the whipped cream.
I won’t tell.
Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Knock-Off
3 T. chocolate-mint syrup
1/3 c. warm milk (or steamed, if you’re fancy)
6 oz. strong coffee
whipped cream and sprinkles (optional)
Mix together syrup and milk. Pour in coffee. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...